5 Mental Tricks and Tips to Succeed at Dieting and Weight Loss
For many dieters, substantial and sustained weight loss seems like an unreachable and intangible goal that only others are able to achieve -- sort of like becoming an astronaut or fighter pilot. The truth is, healthy weight loss is not complicated. In the simplest terms, it comes down to taking in less calories than you expend.
That said, anyone who has struggled to stay on a diet knows the real challenge can be mental rather than physical. It may sound simple to lose one pound of fat per week by eating 500 calories less per day, but it's often much harder in practice.
Here are 5 mental tricks and motivational tips to help you succeed with your diet:
1. Procrastinate. Who says procrastination must always be bad? With weight loss, it can sometimes be used for good. To use procrastination to your advantage say to yourself, "I have my whole life to eat as much cake as I want, who cares if I skip dessert for one day?" Most people use procrastination to avoid doing what they have to do, but it can also be used to help with what you DON'T have to do.
2. Keep a journal. Maintaining a written journal can be of huge help mentally. By writing down exactly what you're eating during the day and how it affects your weight loss, you gain control and perspective, which makes dieting that much easier.
3. Set reasonable goals. Everyone likes meeting goals but sometimes fail by setting them too high. By setting reasonable, achievable goals, you receive positive reinforcement and stay motivated to succeed with your diet.
4. Reward yourself. You'll probably save money by eating less, so reward yourself with something other than food to make yourself feel good and appreciated. Find something that you really enjoy doing but rarely get to do -- and enjoy it!
5. Find a role model. Look for someone who's been successful at reaching and maintaining their desired weight. Having a role model is a great way to find that extra strength and determination to succeed. If someone else can do it, you can too.
In short, dieting isn't difficult physically but can be extremely challenging mentally. Use these simple tricks to get over those tough mental hurdles and reach your weight loss goals. Good luck!
- “Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle” | Secret Techniques of the World’s Best Bodybuilders and Fitness Models
- Top 25 Fitness Blogs, Best Exercise & Health Websites
- GymAmerica | Forbes “Best of Web” Online Personal Trainer
- Fitness News | Gold’s Gym’s Top 10 Secrets to Keeping New Year’s Fitness Resolutions in 2010
- The Bowflex Body Plan (Hardcover) | The Science Behind Your Successful Home Workout